I've selected a variety of time periods in which to compare percentage-performance-to-date of a variety of indices and sector ETFs, namely, S&P 500, Dow 30, Nasdaq 100, Russell 2000, Financials ETF, Commodities ETF, Energy ETF, Basic Materials ETF, Gold ETF, and Oil ETF.
The percentage comparison charts below were created using www.StockCharts.com (PerfChart) facilities.
The first time period begins with the 2011 year-to-date data.
The second time period shows data for the past six months.
The third time period shows data from August 5th.
The fourth time period shows data from the beginning of the current Options Expiration (from September 19th).
The last time period shows the current month-to-date data from October 3rd.
What's interesting to note is the increased percentage decline between the first and second chart time periods (the biggest decline of the year took place from May to August)...the Gold ETF is beginning to decline in the second time period. The third time period shows a contraction of the decline, except for the Gold EFT which has declined further. The Gold ETF declined considerably in the fourth time period, which the others basically continued to rally. The last time period shows the continuation of the rally, with the Gold ETF participating in a substantial turn around.
In conclusion, looking at the data on the first time period, it would appear that the ones to watch over the coming days/weeks are the Russell 2000 Index, and the Financials, Basic Materials, Gold and Oil ETFs in terms of how they compare with the other Major Indices, as well as with the Energy ETF...with possibly the closest watch on the Russell 2000 Index, the Financials ETF, and the Gold ETF.
Welcome and thank you for visiting!
The charts, graphs and comments in my Trading Blog represent my technical analysis and observations of a variety of world markets...
* Major World Market Indices * Futures Markets * U.S. Sectors and ETFs * Commodities * U.S. Bonds * Forex
* The content in my articles is time-sensitive. Each one shows the date and time (New York ET) that I publish them. By the time you read them, market conditions may be quite different than that which is described in my posts, and upon which my analyses are based at that time.
* My posts are also re-published by several other websites and I have no control as to when their editors do so, or for the accuracy in their editing and reproduction of my content.
* In answer to this often-asked question, please be advised that I do not post articles from other writers on my site.
* From time to time, I will add updated market information and charts to some of my articles, so it's worth checking back here occasionally for the latest analyses.
DISCLAIMER: All the information contained within my posts are my opinions only and none of it may be construed as financial or trading advice...
UPCOMING (MAJOR) U.S. ECONOMIC EVENTS...
* Tues. Nov. 3 ~ U.S. Presidential Election
* Thurs. Nov. 5 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ FOMC Announcement + FOMC Forecasts and @ 2:30 pm ET ~ Fed Chair Press Conference
* Fri. Nov. 6 @ 8:30 am ET ~ Employment Data
* Thurs. Nov. 12 @ 8:30 am ET ~ MoM & YoY CPI & Core CPI Data
* Tues. Nov. 17 @ 8:30 am ET ~ Retail Sales Report & Core Retail Sales Report
* Wed. Nov. 25 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ FOMC Meeting Minutes
* Wed. Dec. 2 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ Beige Book Report
* Wed. Dec. 16 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ FOMC Announcement + FOMC Forecasts and @ 2:30 pm ET ~ Fed Chair Press Conference
*** Click here for link to Economic Calendars for all upcoming events