I thought I'd look at the S&P 500 and Russell 2000 Indices, Gold, and Oil to compare where they are trading on a 1-Year Daily timeframe relative to their 50 sma and on a 3-Year, 1-Year Daily, and 11-Day timeframe relative to each other.
The first chartgrid shows a 1-Year timeframe, with the SPX and RUT trading around their 50 sma, Gold is above its 50 sma, and Oil is below its 50 sma. The second chartgrid shows a 2-Month close-up shot, with today's recovery into the close on the SPX, RUT, and Oil. Gold closed near today's low. While the SPX and RUT have made a new high during the past year (which is serving as near-term resistance, thus far), Gold and Oil have not. The triple top on Gold at 1800 is serving as major price resistance, while the 100.00 level is holding as major price resistance on Oil (with the 50 sma holding as near-term resistance at 93.96).
The 1-Year percentage lost/gained graph below shows that the SPX leads in percentage gained, followed by the RUT, Oil, and Gold.
The 1-Year comparison chart below shows that, on a relative-strength basis and in price-action format, the SPX has gained the most over the past year, followed by the RUT, Oil, and Gold.
However, when we look at a 3-Year comparison chart, we see that Gold is, by far, the leader, followed by the RUT, SPX, and, finally, Oil.
Finally, this last comparison chart shows price action for the month of October, thus far. Gold has seen the most profit-taking, while the SPX, Oil, and RUT have seen the least and have turned up slightly the past two days. Whether this is an indication that traders are taking profits in Gold to fund further buying in equities and, possibly, Oil, remains to be seen. This can be tracked over the next few days/weeks for confirmation of such a scenario.
In any event, the 50 sma is having an impact on price action on the SPX, RUT, and Oil. Should all four instruments break and hold below this moving average, we'll likely see a correction in equities and commodities, in my opinion. I'll be looking for confirmation of this in short-term price action on the OEX, DBC, the U.S. $, and 30-Year Bonds, as mentioned here and here.
Welcome and thank you for visiting!
The charts, graphs and comments in my Trading Blog represent my technical analysis and observations of a variety of world markets...
* Major World Market Indices * Futures Markets * U.S. Sectors and ETFs * Commodities * U.S. Bonds * Forex
* The content in my articles is time-sensitive. Each one shows the date and time (New York ET) that I publish them. By the time you read them, market conditions may be quite different than that which is described in my posts, and upon which my analyses are based at that time.
* My posts are also re-published by several other websites and I have no control as to when their editors do so, or for the accuracy in their editing and reproduction of my content.
* In answer to this often-asked question, please be advised that I do not post articles from other writers on my site.
* From time to time, I will add updated market information and charts to some of my articles, so it's worth checking back here occasionally for the latest analyses.
DISCLAIMER: All the information contained within my posts are my opinions only and none of it may be construed as financial or trading advice...please read my full Disclaimer at this link.
* If the dots don't connect, gather more dots until they do...or, just follow the $$$...
UPCOMING (MAJOR) U.S. ECONOMIC EVENTS...
* Wed. May 25 @ 2:00 pm ET - FOMC Meeting Minutes
* Wed. June 1 @ 2:00 pm ET - Beige Book Report
* Fri. June 3 @ 8:30 am ET - Employment Data
* Wed. June 15 @ 2:00 pm ET - FOMC Rate Announcement + Forecasts and @ 2:30 pm ET - Fed Chair Press Conference
* Wed. July 27 @ 2:00 pm ET - FOMC Rate Announcement + Forecasts and @ 2:30 pm ET - Fed Chair Press Conference
* Wed. Sept. 21 @ 2:00 pm ET - FOMC Rate Announcement + Forecasts and @ 2:30 pm ET - Fed Chair Press Conference
* Wed. Nov. 2 @ 2:00 pm ET - FOMC Rate Announcement + Forecasts and @ 2:30 pm ET - Fed Chair Press Conference
* Wed. Dec. 14 @ 2:00 pm ET - FOMC Rate Announcement + Forecasts and @ 2:30 pm ET - Fed Chair Press Conference
*** CLICK HERE for link to Economic Calendars for all upcoming events.