Data released on Wednesday shows a continued decline in China's GDP, which began in April 2010, as shown on the graph below. There were only two quarters with lower GDP numbers since January 2009.
In addition, the Fixed Asset Investment, Industrial Production, and Retail Sales data (also released yesterday) showed a small improvement. The numbers, however, remain subdued at 2009 levels. Fixed Asset Investment in 2012 has been the lowest since 2005. Since it's a "leading indicator of economic health and changes in private and public investment levels can be an early signal of future economic activity such as hiring, spending, and earnings," this low level, combined with a still-declining GDP, does not signal a growing economy.
As can be seen from the Daily chart below of the Shanghai Index, price has rallied slightly, but faces resistance at the 2150 level. Not shown on this chart is today's close at 2131.69. So far, this is only indicating a rally and not a bottom yet. Price will have to break and hold above 2150, and we'll have to see a turn-around in declining GDP and continued improving data to be supportive of any such scenario.
Welcome and thank you for visiting!
The charts, graphs and comments in my Trading Blog represent my technical analysis and observations of a variety of world markets...
* Major World Market Indices * Futures Markets * U.S. Sectors and ETFs * Commodities * U.S. Bonds * Forex
DISCLAIMER: All the information contained within my posts are my opinions only and none of it may be construed as financial or trading advice...
please read my full Disclaimer at this link.
UPCOMING (MAJOR) U.S. ECONOMIC EVENTS...
* Wed. March 21 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ FOMC Announcement + FOMC Forecasts + @ 2:30 pm ET ~ Fed Chair Press Conference
* Fri. March 30 ~ U.S. markets closed for Good Friday Holiday
* Fri. April 6 @ 8:30 am ET ~ Employment Data
* Wed. April 11 @ 8:30 am ET ~ MoM & YoY CPI & Core CPI Data
* Wed. April 11 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ FOMC Meeting Minutes
* Wed. April 18 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ Beige Book Report
* Wed. May 2 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ FOMC Announcement
*** Click here for link to Economic Calendars for all upcoming events