Below are 5-year Monthly charts for YM, ES, NQ & TF. All four e-mini futures indices closed in between their upper and middle Bollinger Bands on this timeframe. The YM and ES are in the thick of resistance, while the NQ has broken above, and the TF is approaching overhead resistance. Bollinger Bands are beginning to tighten slightly on YM, ES and NQ, suggesting a possible reversal of the advance at some point. Price has closed above the 5-year Volume Profile POC for all four e-minis. Volumes were lighter this month and have declined steadily since peaking in August of 2011. My very short-term RSI indicator is nearing overbought conditions for this timeframe.
Below are 20-day 4-Hour charts for YM, ES, NQ & TF. We can see the steady rise in price from the beginning of January. The NQ & TF made a new swing high in pre-market trading today, while the YM & ES have made progressively lower swing highs over the past four days...none of them has made a new swing low yet. Today's initial drop from 9:00 am was made on considerably higher volumes on all four e-minis...whether this is the beginning of a bear pullback remains to be seen. Near-term support sits at the lower Bollinger Bands, followed by their respective next lower Fibonacci retracement level...that would be the 60% level for YM, 50% level for ES, and 38.2% for NQ & TF. My very short-term RSI indicator is nearing oversold conditions for this timeframe, but it is very sensitive to minor corrections and can be easily relieved by minor price corrections before a trend resumes.
Question #1 from my post of January 30th has been answered, in part, as the ES closed above a moving average Golden Cross formation on the Daily chart...time will provide the answers to the rest of that question, as well as to the other two.
In the near term, we'll see whether the NQ and TF can continue a strong push up for February from here, with the YM and ES finding support to follow. Important sectors to watch in support of such an advance would be the High Dividend-paying Stocks ETF (DVY) and Emerging Markets ETF (EEM). As mentioned in my post of January 23rd, they are both facing a great deal of resistance at their current levels, and a push above would be at a considerable risk-to-reward ratio. In my opinion, we'd need to see higher volumes come in and stay on all these Indices and ETFs to confirm that a sustainable advance was viable in the face of such a high risk/reward scenario.
Welcome and thank you for visiting!
The charts, graphs and comments in my Trading Blog represent my technical analysis and observations of a variety of world markets...
* Major World Market Indices * Futures Markets * U.S. Sectors and ETFs * Commodities * U.S. Bonds * Forex
* The content in my articles is time-sensitive. Each one shows the date and time (New York ET) that I publish them. By the time you read them, market conditions may be quite different than that which is described in my posts, and upon which my analyses are based at that time.
* My posts are also re-published by several other websites and I have no control as to when their editors do so, or for the accuracy in their editing and reproduction of my content.
* In answer to this often-asked question, please be advised that I do not post articles from other writers on my site.
* From time to time, I will add updated market information and charts to some of my articles, so it's worth checking back here occasionally for the latest analyses.
DISCLAIMER: All the information contained within my posts are my opinions only and none of it may be construed as financial or trading advice...please read my full Disclaimer at this link.
* If the dots don't connect, gather more dots until they do...or, just follow the $$$...
Winter in City
UPCOMING (MAJOR) U.S. ECONOMIC EVENTS...
* Wed. Feb. 1 @ 2:00 pm ET - FOMC Rate Announcement + Forecasts and @ 2:30 pm ET - Fed Chair Press Conference
* Fri. Feb. 3 @ 8:30 am ET - Employment Data
* Wed. Feb. 22, 2023 @ 2:00 pm ET - FOMC Meeting Minutes
* Wed. Mar. 8 @ 2:00 pm ET - Beige Book Report
* Wed. Mar. 22 @ 2:00 pm ET - FOMC Rate Announcement + Forecasts and @ 2:30 pm ET - Fed Chair Press Conference
*** CLICK HERE for link to Economic Calendars for all upcoming events.