AAPL pulled back today without breaking above the +1 level of its uptrending regression channel, as shown on the Daily chart below. It has moved in cycles since its June 2011 low...pulling back on overbought readings of my short-term RSI indicator, and traditional MACD and Stochastics indicators...and after briefly breaking above the +1 channel level.
At the moment, there is a negative divergence on my RSI indicator and on Stochastics...MACD is still rising. Near-term support sits at, first, Monthly VWAP (broken yellow) at 417.63, then Monthly Volume Profile POC (yellow horizontal lines) at 413.86, and then the channel "mean" (broken pink) at 406.83.
As can be seen from the one-year Volume Profile at the right edge of the chart, volumes above 410.00 are very thin and do not support sustainable higher prices at this time. Although volumes have been rising over the past few days, they are well below the high levels during previous cycle rallies, as are all the volumes from its November 2011 cycle low. As such, I'd be wary of buying any breakouts above today's high on what could turn out to be a "dead cat bounce" here. I wouldn't be surprised to see a re-test of the November low in the near future. I am aware, however, of upcoming earnings on January 24th...as such, market makers may try to run the price up until then.
With pre-Christmas consumer spending reaching an all-time high since 2000, as reported today (see graph below courtesy of www.Forexfactory.com), it may be that consumers have reached their limits on their credit and are now stuck with paying down more debt than ever before...which may have an impact on future APPL product purchases.
Welcome and thank you for visiting!
The charts, graphs and comments in my Trading Blog represent my technical analysis and observations of a variety of world markets...
* Major World Market Indices * Futures Markets * U.S. Sectors and ETFs * Commodities * U.S. Bonds * Forex
* The content in my articles is time-sensitive. Each one shows the date and time (New York ET) that I publish them. By the time you read them, market conditions may be quite different than that which is described in my posts, and upon which my analyses are based at that time.
* My posts are also re-published by several other websites and I have no control as to when their editors do so, or for the accuracy in their editing and reproduction of my content.
* In answer to this often-asked question, please be advised that I do not post articles from other writers on my site.
* From time to time, I will add updated market information and charts to some of my articles, so it's worth checking back here occasionally for the latest analyses.
DISCLAIMER: All the information contained within my posts are my opinions only and none of it may be construed as financial or trading advice...
UPCOMING (MAJOR) U.S. ECONOMIC VENTS...
* Wed. Mar. 20 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ FOMC Announcement + FOMC Forecasts and @ 2:30 pm ET ~ Fed Chair Press Conference
* Fri. Mar. 22 @ 3:30 am ET ~ German Flash Manufacturing PMI (watch for a hold below 50)...N.B. Jan. 24 PMI came in at 49.9 & Feb. 21 PMI came in at 47.6 (contraction mode deepens!)
* Mon. Apr. 1 @ 8:30 am ET ~ Core Retail Sales & Retail Sales
* Fri. Apr. 5 @ 8:30 am ET ~ Employment Data
* Wed. Apr. 10 @ 8:30 am ET ~ MoM & YoY CPI & Core CPI Data
* Wed. Apr. 10 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ FOMC Meeting Minutes
* Wed. Apr. 17 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ Beige Book Report
* Fri. Apr. 19 ~ U.S. Markets Closed for Good Friday holiday
* Wed. May 1 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ FOMC Announcement + FOMC Forecasts and @ 2:30 pm ET ~ Fed Chair Press Conference
*** Click here for link to Economic Calendars for all upcoming events
NOTABLE POSTS WITH IMPORTANT UPDATES...