In total, from the October 2011 lows, the Russell 2000 Index has led the Dow 30, S&P 500, and Nasdaq 100 indices higher in terms of percentages gained to date, as shown on the percentage comparison chart below.
The next chart shows percentages gained since the November dip/lows. The Nasdaq 100 started to gain momentum towards the end of January and pulled ahead of the Dow and S&P 500, while the Russell maintained its lead.
The next chart begins at that point where the Nasdaq pulled ahead...it then pulled ahead of the Russell on February 8th.
The next chart begins on Monday this week...the Nasdaq surged once again on Wednesday, and, as of today's close, it remains the leader, so far, for the week, followed by the Russell 2000, the S&P 500, and the Dow 30.
In summary, I'd watch for any early signs of weakening in the S&P 500 and the Dow 30 indices, as a potential warning that equities may be about to roll over. The last chart depicts today's action only...price flattened out around 1:30pm on all four indices, with the Russell leading the indices higher from the open today. I'd look for a resumption of buying tomorrow, otherwise, this afternoon's flat price action may be a precursor of such weakness developing.
Welcome and thank you for visiting!
The charts, graphs and comments in my Trading Blog represent my technical analysis and observations of a variety of world markets...
* Major World Market Indices * Futures Markets * U.S. Sectors and ETFs * Commodities * U.S. Bonds * Forex
* The content in my articles is time-sensitive. Each one shows the date and time (New York ET) that I publish them. By the time you read them, market conditions may be quite different than that which is described in my posts, and upon which my analyses are based at that time.
* My posts are also re-published by several other websites and I have no control as to when their editors do so, or for the accuracy in their editing and reproduction of my content.
* In answer to this often-asked question, please be advised that I do not post articles from other writers on my site.
* From time to time, I will add updated market information and charts to some of my articles, so it's worth checking back here occasionally for the latest analyses.
DISCLAIMER: All the information contained within my posts are my opinions only and none of it may be construed as financial or trading advice...please read my full Disclaimer at this link.
* If the dots don't connect, gather more dots until they do...or, just follow the $$$...
UPCOMING (MAJOR) U.S. ECONOMIC EVENTS...
* Wed. July 28 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ FOMC Announcement + FOMC Forecasts and @ 2:30 pm ET ~ Fed Chair Press Conference
* Fri. July 30 @ 8:30 am ET ~ Core PCE Price Index Data
* Fri. Aug. 6 @ 8:30 am ET ~ Employment Data
* Wed. Aug. 11 @ 8:30 am ET ~ MoM & YoY CPI & Core CPI Data
* Thurs. Aug. 12 @ 8:30 am ET ~ PPI m/m & Core PPI m/m Data
* Tues. Aug. 17 @ 8:30 am ET ~ Retail Sales & Core Retail Sales Data
* Wed. Aug. 18 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ FOMC Meeting Minutes
* Wed. Sept. 8 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ Beige Book Report
*** Click here for link to Economic Calendars for all upcoming events.