Data released tonight showed another monthly decline in CGPI y/y (change in the price of goods sold by corporations) in Japan. This level is approaching zero and is in danger of falling into negative territory, as it did in 2009.
Since it's a leading indicator of consumer inflation, this suggests that Japan's inflation is teetering on deflation...one to watch for future month's releases.
The Daily chart below of Japan's Nikkei e-mini futures index, NKD, shows that price has pushed above a major downtrend line from the July 2007 high (broken green) and has stalled today at the declining 200 sma (broken pink). Price is sitting just below 9100 (red), which represents price resistance, through which it declined on August 8th, 2011, the Monday after Standard and Poor's downgrade of the U.S. credit rating.
It will be interesting to see if near-term support holds at 8910ish or if near-term resistance holds at 9100...a solid break and hold below/above these levels on sustained volumes should set up the next move for this index.
Welcome and thank you for visiting!
The charts, graphs and comments in my Trading Blog represent my technical analysis and observations of a variety of world markets...
* Major World Market Indices * Futures Markets * U.S. Sectors and ETFs * Commodities * U.S. Bonds * Forex
DISCLAIMER: All the information contained within my posts are my opinions only and none of it may be construed as financial or trading advice...
please read my full Disclaimer at this link.
UPCOMING (MAJOR) U.S. ECONOMIC EVENTS...
* Mon. Feb. 19 ~ U.S. markets closed for Presidents Day Holiday
* Wed. Feb. 21 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ FOMC Meeting Minutes
* Wed. Mar. 7 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ Beige Book Report
* Fri. Mar. 9 @ 8:30 am ET ~ Employment Data
* Tues. Mar. 13 @ 8:30 am ET ~ MoM & YoY CPI & Core CPI Data
* Wed. March 21 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ FOMC Announcement + FOMC Forecasts + @ 2:30 pm ET ~ Fed Chair Press Conference
* Wed. May 2 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ FOMC Announcement
*** Click here for link to Economic Calendars for all upcoming events