* See UPDATE below...
The following 60 minute chart of the S&P 500 Index (SPX) shows intraday support and resistance levels at 2650 and 2700, respectively.
The momentum and relative volatility index technical indicators have plunged on today's action, so far (as at 1:15 pm ET, Thursday April 19), and price has fallen back into the lower 1/4 of the uptrending Andrew's Pitchfork channel...all of which are suggesting that the latest attempted rally that began on April 2 is pretty weak, but the pullbacks that have occurred since then have been tight and shallow.
However, the level of volatility and momentum in today's intraday action may indicate that this may end soon and that today will mark a pivot point of some kind. Either we'll see price break free of this tight trading action and spike to 2700, or we'll see price plunge down to 2650, with a continued breakout in either direction.
We'll see what happens by the end of the week.
* UPDATE @ close...
Price rallied somewhat into today's close, as shown on the 60 minute chart of the SPX below. The momentum indicator is still below zero, while the relative volatility index indicator has popped above the 50.00 level.
Should price break and hold above 2700, watch for MOM and RVI to move up and hold above zero and 50.00, respectively, to confirm the sustainability of a further rally. Otherwise, a failure to do so may see price retest 2650, or lower.
Either way, it appears to me that it's winding up for a strong price move, one way or the other.
N.B. One last chart to keep an eye on is the following SPX:VIX ratio chart (monthly timeframe).
Price has popped back up and is currently above the 150 Bull/Bear Line-in-the-Sand level. It will need to hold above that and break and hold above 200 if we're to see any kind of sustained rally in the SPX to, potentially, new highs.
Welcome and thank you for visiting!
The charts, graphs and comments in my Trading Blog represent my technical analysis and observations of a variety of world markets...
* Major World Market Indices * Futures Markets * U.S. Sectors and ETFs * Commodities * U.S. Bonds * Forex
* The content in my articles is time-sensitive. Each one shows the date and time (New York ET) that I publish them. By the time you read them, market conditions may be quite different than that which is described in my posts, and upon which my analyses are based at that time.
* My posts are also re-published by several other websites and I have no control as to when their editors do so, or for the accuracy in their editing and reproduction of my content.
* In answer to this often-asked question, please be advised that I do not post articles from other writers on my site.
* From time to time, I will add updated market information and charts to some of my articles, so it's worth checking back here occasionally for the latest analyses.
DISCLAIMER: All the information contained within my posts are my opinions only and none of it may be construed as financial or trading advice...please read my full Disclaimer at this link.
* If the dots don't connect, gather more dots until they do...or, just follow the $$$...
UPCOMING (MAJOR) U.S. ECONOMIC EVENTS...
* Wed. May 25 @ 2:00 pm ET - FOMC Meeting Minutes
* Wed. June 1 @ 2:00 pm ET - Beige Book Report
* Fri. June 3 @ 8:30 am ET - Employment Data
* Wed. June 15 @ 2:00 pm ET - FOMC Rate Announcement + Forecasts and @ 2:30 pm ET - Fed Chair Press Conference
* Wed. July 27 @ 2:00 pm ET - FOMC Rate Announcement + Forecasts and @ 2:30 pm ET - Fed Chair Press Conference
* Wed. Sept. 21 @ 2:00 pm ET - FOMC Rate Announcement + Forecasts and @ 2:30 pm ET - Fed Chair Press Conference
* Wed. Nov. 2 @ 2:00 pm ET - FOMC Rate Announcement + Forecasts and @ 2:30 pm ET - Fed Chair Press Conference
* Wed. Dec. 14 @ 2:00 pm ET - FOMC Rate Announcement + Forecasts and @ 2:30 pm ET - Fed Chair Press Conference
*** CLICK HERE for link to Economic Calendars for all upcoming events.