UPCOMING (MAJOR) U.S. ECONOMIC EVENTS...
* Wed. Sept. 22 @ 2:00 pm ET - FOMC Announcement + FOMC Forecasts and @ 2:30 pm ET - Fed Chair Press Conference
* Fri. Oct. 1 @ 8:30 am ET - Core PCE Price Index m/m Data
* Fri. Oct. 8 @ 8:30 am ET - Employment Data
* Wed. Oct. 13 @ 8:30 am ET - CPI m/m & Core CPI m/m Data
* Wed. Oct. 13 @ 2:00 pm ET - FOMC Meeting Minutes
* Thurs. Oct. 14 @ 8:30 am ET - PPI m/m & Core PPI m/m Data
* Fri. Oct. 15 @ 8:30 am ET - Retail Sales & Core Retail Sales Data
* Fri. Oct. 15 @ 10:00 am ET - Prelim. UoM Consumer Sentiment
* Fri. Oct. 15 @ 10:00 am ET - Prelim. UoM Inflation Expectations
* Wed. Oct. 20 @ 2:00 pm ET - Beige Book Report
*** CLICK HERE for link to Economic Calendars for all upcoming events.
Friday, December 07, 2012
Consumer Sentiment Has Soured Amidst Higher Inflation Expectations
Inasmuch as it's a "leading indicator of consumer spending, which accounts for a majority of overall economic activity," this may be forecasting a weakening of expected Christmas sales, and sales into 2013 (since consumers will have to begin paying for any Christmas gifts purchased on credit).
Furthermore, Preliminary Inflation Expectations for December rose to 3.3% from the final reading of 3.1% for November...the final (Revised) data will be released in a couple of weeks. Inasmuch as "expectations of future inflation can manifest into real inflation, primarily because workers tend to push for higher wages when they believe prices will rise," this would, no doubt, have an impact on corporate profits and, potentially, impinge on hiring intentions.