The April 4th ECB Press Conference release revealed a resolve by Europe's Governing Council to ensure that "commitments under the Stability and Growth Pact" are "fully honoured" by governments and "weaknesses in competitiveness forcefully addressed" (emphasis added by me). "National policy-makers need to fully meet their responsibilities to ensure fiscal sustainability, to increase the adjustment capacity of product and labour markets, to enhance productivity and competitiveness, and to ensure the soundness of their financial system. In particular, countries which have suffered losses in cost competitiveness need to ensure sufficient wage adjustment and foster productivity growth."
This press conference was held to announce that they were holding their key ECB interest rates unchanged. "The information that has become available since the beginning of March broadly confirms our previous assessment. Inflation rates are likely to stay above 2% in 2012, with upside risks prevailing. Over the policy-relevant horizon, we expect price developments to remain in line with price stability. Consistent with this picture, the underlying pace of monetary expansion remains subdued. Survey indicators for economic growth have broadly stabilised at low levels in the early months of 2012, and a moderate recovery in activity is expected in the course of the year. The economic outlook remains subject to downside risks."
At the time of writing this post, this is the World market reaction, thus far, today (the losses today have been added to those incurred after the release on April 3rd of the minutes from the last Fed meeting):
Welcome and thank you for visiting!
The charts, graphs and comments in my Trading Blog represent my technical analysis and observations of a variety of world markets...
* Major World Market Indices * Futures Markets * U.S. Sectors and ETFs * Commodities * U.S. Bonds * Forex
* The content in my articles is time-sensitive. Each one shows the date and time (New York ET) that I publish them. By the time you read them, market conditions may be quite different than that which is described in my posts, and upon which my analyses are based at that time.
* My posts are also re-published by several other websites and I have no control as to when their editors do so, or for the accuracy in their editing and reproduction of my content.
* In answer to this often-asked question, please be advised that I do not post articles from other writers on my site.
* From time to time, I will add updated market information and charts to some of my articles, so it's worth checking back here occasionally for the latest analyses.
DISCLAIMER: All the information contained within my posts are my opinions only and none of it may be construed as financial or trading advice...
UPCOMING (MAJOR) U.S. ECONOMIC EVENTS...
* Fri. Aug. 7 @ 8:30 am ET ~ Employment Data
* Wed. Aug. 12 @ 8:30 am ET ~ MoM & YoY CPI & Core CPI Data
* Fri. Aug. 14 @ 8:30 am ET ~ Core Retail Sales & Retail Sales
* Wed. Aug. 19 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ FOMC Meeting Minutes
* Wed. Sept. 2 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ Beige Book Report
* Wed. Sept. 16 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ FOMC Announcement + FOMC Forecasts and @ 2:30 pm ET ~ Fed Chair Press Conference
*** Click here for link to Economic Calendars for all upcoming events