Further to my recent post wherein I introduced a hypothetical portfolio of indices, ETFs, and the 30-Year Bond (in order to broadly track "value" vs. "growth" sentiment), I would offer the following graph which depicts the percentages gained/lost so far this week (as of Thursday's close).
Market participants favoured the Technology sector, followed by Emerging Markets, Cyclicals, Large-caps, Commodities, Small-caps, and Financials. Homebuilders has been flat and some profits have been taken in the Health Care Sector. Some money was then allocated into 30-Year Bonds.
While there was a blip in volatility on Wednesday, the VIX dropped back below 14.00 on Thursday.
We can see that markets have been willing to add a fair bit of "risk." While volatility remains low, I'd suggest that we'll see the markets continue to buy into the "growth" sectors, along with "value" until this sentiment changes.
This weekend's market update will look at a broader flow of money for the entire week, so be sure to check back for that post.
The following Year-to-date graph shows that, up until now, markets have favoured a fairly "value-oriented" approach (sprinkled with some "growth" segments)...Commodities and Emerging Markets are in negative territory. We'll see if the buying (as has begun this week) picks up in those areas any time soon. If so, we may also see more money flowing into Bonds as a safety net...in that case, we may see a slow, choppy advance in the general markets as participants rotate into and out of various segments in order to fund further purchases. Otherwise, if we see large-scale draw-downs in Bonds, we may see a much more rapid advance in Commodities and Equities.
Welcome and thank you for visiting!
The charts, graphs and comments in my Trading Blog represent my technical analysis and observations of a variety of world markets...
* Major World Market Indices * Futures Markets * U.S. Sectors and ETFs * Commodities * U.S. Bonds * Forex
DISCLAIMER: All the information contained within my posts are my opinions only and none of it may be construed as financial or trading advice...
please read my full Disclaimer at this link.
UPCOMING (MAJOR) ECONOMIC EVENTS...
* Thurs. Aug. 24, Fri. 25 & Sat. 26 ~ Jackson Hole Economic Policy Symposium -- (Fri. @ 10:00 am ET ~ Janet Yellen speaks)
* Fri. Sept. 1 @ 8:30 am ET ~ Employment Data
* Mon. Sept. 4 ~ Labour Day holiday...U.S. markets closed...Canadian markets closed
* Wed. Sept. 6 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ Beige Book Report
* Tues. Sept. 19 ~ 2-day FOMC Meeting Begins
* Wed. Sept. 20 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ FOMC Announcement + FOMC Forecasts + @ 2:30 pm ET ~ Fed Chair Press Conference
* Wed. Oct. 11 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ FOMC Meeting Minutes
* Tues. Oct. 31 ~ 2-day FOMC Meeting Begins
* Wed. Nov. 1 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ FOMC Announcement
* Tues. Dec. 12 ~ 2-day FOMC Meeting Begins
* Wed. Dec. 13 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ FOMC Announcement + FOMC Forecasts + @ 2:30 pm ET ~ Fed Chair Press Conference