Equity markets plunged in a matter of a couple of minutes today (Tuesday) after a "bogus" tweet was made from a hacked Associated Press Twitter account.
THE THREAT & THE PROBLEMS
How will fund managers, as well as the "average investor," hedge against this new risk in the current environment where we've seen increasing incidents of cyber attacks around the world?
Those already in the market who have a stop loss set on their trades (within the ensuing price spike) will be taken out by "High-Frequency Algorithmic Trading" (and not necessarily anywhere near the price of their stop loss, but it could be much lower), and those who don't are at the mercy of market reaction to the HFT trades.
The following article regarding the AP Tweet is from ZeroHedge:
Welcome and thank you for visiting!
The charts, graphs and comments in my Trading Blog represent my technical analysis and observations of a variety of world markets...
* Major World Market Indices * Futures Markets * U.S. Sectors and ETFs * Commodities * U.S. Bonds * Forex
DISCLAIMER: All the information contained within my posts are my opinions only and none of it may be construed as financial or trading advice...
please read my full Disclaimer at this link.
UPCOMING (MAJOR) U.S. ECONOMIC EVENTS...
* Tues. Dec. 12 ~ 2-day FOMC Meeting Begins
* Wed. Dec. 13 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ FOMC Announcement + FOMC Forecasts + @ 2:30 pm ET ~ Fed Chair Press Conference
* Mon. Dec. 25 ~ U.S. Markets closed for Christmas Day holiday
* Mon. Jan. 1 ~ U.S. Markets closed for New Year's Day holiday
* Wed. Jan 3 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ FOMC Meeting Minutes
* Fri. Jan. 5 @ 8:30 am ET ~ Employment Data
* Wed. Jan. 17 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ Beige Book Report
* Wed. Jan. 31 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ FOMC Announcement
*** Click here for link to Economic Calendars for all upcoming events