The first percentage gained/lost graph below shows gains made, so far, in 2013 for the Major Indices. The Dow Transports leads in gains with nearly 13%, the Dow 30 and Russell 2000 are closely tied for second place, followed by the S&P 500, Dow Utilities, and Nasdaq 100.
The second percentage gained/lost graph shows gains made for only the month of February until Wednesday's close. The Dow Transports has been the leader this month, while the Dow 30, S&P 500, and Dow Utilities all outperformed the Russell 2000. The Nasdaq is only slightly above break-even.
This tells me that market participants have recently been favouring large-cap, more defensive, stocks over riskier, high-beta small-cap and tech stocks, as they have been grinding higher toward their all-time high levels. I'll be watching to see if money begins to start flowing into small-cap and tech stocks any time soon to signal that the markets are willing to take on more risk that may be needed to push all of the Major Indices to new all-time highs and sustain that kind of momentum going forward for the balance of the year. Otherwise, we could see some serious profit-taking and pullback begin in the not-too-distant future in all Indices.
Welcome and thank you for visiting!
The charts, graphs and comments in my Trading Blog represent my technical analysis and observations of a variety of world markets...
* Major World Market Indices * Futures Markets * U.S. Sectors and ETFs * Commodities * U.S. Bonds * Forex
* The content in my articles is time-sensitive. Each one shows the date and time (New York ET) that I publish them. By the time you read them, market conditions may be quite different than that which is described in my posts, and upon which my analyses are based at that time.
* My posts are also re-published by several other websites and I have no control as to when their editors do so, or for the accuracy in their editing and reproduction of my content.
* In answer to this often-asked question, please be advised that I do not post articles from other writers on my site.
* From time to time, I will add updated market information and charts to some of my articles, so it's worth checking back here occasionally for the latest analyses.
DISCLAIMER: All the information contained within my posts are my opinions only and none of it may be construed as financial or trading advice...please read my full Disclaimer at this link.
* If the dots don't connect, gather more dots until they do...or, just follow the $$$...
Art Deco Xmas Lady
UPCOMING (MAJOR) U.S. ECONOMIC EVENTS...
* Wed. Dec. 13 @ 2:00 pm ET - FOMC Rate Announcement + Forecasts and @ 2:30 pm ET - Fed Chair Press Conference
* Wed. Jan. 3 @ 2:00 pm ET - FOMC Meeting Minutes
* Fri. Jan. 5 @ 8:30 am ET - Employment Data
* Wed. Jan. 17 @ 2:00 pm ET - Beige Book Report
* Wed. Jan. 31 @ 2:00 pm ET - FOMC Rate Announcement + Forecasts and @ 2:30 pm ET - Fed Chair Press Conference
*** CLICK HERE for link to Economic Calendars for all upcoming events.