The first two Daily charts below show the profit-taking that is occurring in the Nasdaq 100 Index. It's currently sitting at the lower end of its smaller, steeper upward-sloping channel as I write this during intraday action on Tuesday.
You can see how it pulled further above the other Major Indices at the beginning of August on the third Daily chart (which shows percentages gained year-to-date for these indices) to form the steeper channel.
The fourth 1-day intraday chart shows a percentage comparison chart of the Major Indices to the Emerging Markets ETF (EEM). You can see that the Russell 2000 Index leads the Nasdaq 100, so far, today, while EEM is the laggard (it's also the laggard for the year, which suggests that traders are generally staying away from riskier foreign markets...a growth-averse vs value-favoured environment).
Whether any further profit-taking turns into a sell-off remains to be seen, but clues lie in the channels. A break and hold below this steeper channel on the Nasdaq 100 Index, along with a break and hold below the "mean" of the channels on the other three Major Indices, may signal the beginning of a sell-off in equities...particularly if the Nasdaq 100 breaks and holds below the upper edge of the larger channel below. Look for confirmation of such a move using the methods outlined in my posts of August 27th and August 24th.
On the other hand, if leadership switches to EEM on an intraday basis, that may be signalling the beginning of a parabolic move upwards in the equity markets before we see a sell-off/correction.
Welcome and thank you for visiting!
The charts, graphs and comments in my Trading Blog represent my technical analysis and observations of a variety of world markets...
* Major World Market Indices * Futures Markets * U.S. Sectors and ETFs * Commodities * U.S. Bonds * Forex
* The content in my articles is time-sensitive. Each one shows the date and time (New York ET) that I publish them. By the time you read them, market conditions may be quite different than that which is described in my posts, and upon which my analyses are based at that time.
* My posts are also re-published by several other websites and I have no control as to when their editors do so, or for the accuracy in their editing and reproduction of my content.
* In answer to this often-asked question, please be advised that I do not post articles from other writers on my site.
* From time to time, I will add updated market information and charts to some of my articles, so it's worth checking back here occasionally for the latest analyses.
DISCLAIMER: All the information contained within my posts are my opinions only and none of it may be construed as financial or trading advice...please read my full Disclaimer at this link.
* If the dots don't connect, gather more dots until they do...or, just follow the $$$...
Living In A Time
UPCOMING (MAJOR) U.S. ECONOMIC EVENTS...
* Wed. May 24, 2023 @ 2:00 pm ET - FOMC Meeting Minutes
* Wed. May 31 @ 2:00 pm ET - Beige Book Report
* Fri. June 2 @ 8:30 am ET - Employment Data
* Wed. June 14 @ 2:00 pm ET - FOMC Rate Announcement + Forecasts and @ 2:30 pm ET - Fed Chair Press Conference
* Wed. July 26 @ 2:00 pm ET - FOMC Rate Announcement + Forecasts and @ 2:30 pm ET - Fed Chair Press Conference
*** CLICK HERE for link to Economic Calendars for all upcoming events.