UPCOMING (MAJOR) U.S. ECONOMIC EVENTS...
* Wed. Sept. 22 @ 2:00 pm ET - FOMC Announcement + FOMC Forecasts and @ 2:30 pm ET - Fed Chair Press Conference
* Fri. Oct. 1 @ 8:30 am ET - Core PCE Price Index m/m Data
* Fri. Oct. 8 @ 8:30 am ET - Employment Data
* Wed. Oct. 13 @ 8:30 am ET - CPI m/m & Core CPI m/m Data
* Wed. Oct. 13 @ 2:00 pm ET - FOMC Meeting Minutes
* Thurs. Oct. 14 @ 8:30 am ET - PPI m/m & Core PPI m/m Data
* Fri. Oct. 15 @ 8:30 am ET - Retail Sales & Core Retail Sales Data
* Fri. Oct. 15 @ 10:00 am ET - Prelim. UoM Consumer Sentiment
* Fri. Oct. 15 @ 10:00 am ET - Prelim. UoM Inflation Expectations
* Wed. Oct. 20 @ 2:00 pm ET - Beige Book Report
*** CLICK HERE for link to Economic Calendars for all upcoming events.
Monday, May 14, 2012
Risk-on Risk-off Trades in JPM from 1990
As you can see, its swings have been very much more volatile and large in comparison with the Dow 30, S&P 500, Russell 2000, and XLF. It has, however, behaved more in line with the Nasdaq 100 Index (green). Both of these instruments have traded much more aggressively over the past 22 years, indicating a much greater appetite for risk than the others. However, when losses have happened, they have also happened to a much greater extent in these two on a percentage basis than in the others.
The price of JPM now sits down at 1998 levels, and, at the moment, the risk trade in it is OFF. I'll continue to monitor it relative to these indices and XLF in order to gauge its relative strength/weakness over the next weeks/months.