A new "BUY" signal has just triggered on the World Market Index. I last wrote about this index on June 29th.
Price punched through 1900 (which will now need to hold as major support), the RSI has broken its latest downtrend and is back above 50, and there are new bullish crossovers on the MACD and PMO indicators, as shown on the following Daily chart.
While the SPX has broken above near-term resistance of 2450 and closed at another all-time high, it's a nano-breath away from also triggering a new "BUY" signal.
If price remains above 2450, if the RSI remains above 50, if the recent bullish crossover holds on the MACD, and if we get a bullish crossover on the PMO (imminent), we'll see this trigger erupt, as shown on the Daily chart below.
The SPX:VIX ratio has also broken above near-term resistance of 250 and closed at a new all-time high, as shown on the Daily ratio chart below.
Inasmuch as the RSI has broken its downtrend and is above 50, and bullish crossovers have formed on the MACD and PMO indicators, this ratio is confirming that a new "BUY" signal has triggered on the SPX. However, to see this through to fruition, we'll need to see price remain above 250 and volatility remain at all-time lows.
The following 1-Year Daily chartgrid of the 9 Major Sectors shows that Industrials and Materials are leading the pack, followed closely by Technology, Health Care, Cyclicals and Financials.
Utilities and Consumer Staples have slumped the past couple of months and Energy has been in a major downtrend all year. I'd keep a close watch on these three Sectors to see if buyers begin to dip their toes into these anytime soon.
If so, and, if the other six Sectors can hold their own, we will, no doubt, see more new records set in the SPX, with buying continuing in the World Market Index (the Year-to-date graph below shows that 8 of the 9 Sectors have decent to healthy gains, so far this year, while Energy is at -12.05%).
* P.S. July 16th
If we get a bull run like we had in the 1990's, then the SPX could reach 2700 by the 2020 Presidential election, as forecast in my post of November 26, 2016.
A level of 2700 represents approximately the next major long-term Fibonacci extension level (1.618%), as shown on the following Monthly chart of the SPX.
However, price is currently up against major resistance, formed by a long-term Fibonacci fanline (40%) and dating back to 1990, as shown on the Monthly chart of SPX below, and is approaching an external Fibonacci retracement level of 200% at 2485 (taken from the highs of 2007 to the lows of 2009).
So, in the shorter term, we could see a "bull trap" occur prior to a decline in equity markets...keep a close watch on the above-referenced Major Sectors for further signals and any evidence of weakening.
Welcome and thank you for visiting!
The charts, graphs and comments in my Trading Blog represent my technical analysis and observations of a variety of world markets...
* Major World Market Indices * Futures Markets * U.S. Sectors and ETFs * Commodities * U.S. Bonds * Forex
* The content in my articles is time-sensitive. Each one shows the date and time (New York ET) that I publish them. By the time you read them, market conditions may be quite different than that which is described in my posts, and upon which my analyses are based at that time.
* My posts are also re-published by several other websites and I have no control as to when their editors do so, or for the accuracy in their editing and reproduction of my content.
* From time to time, I will add updated market information and charts to some of my articles, so it's worth checking back here occasionally for the latest analyses.
DISCLAIMER: All the information contained within my posts are my opinions only and none of it may be construed as financial or trading advice...
UPCOMING (MAJOR) U.S. ECONOMIC EVENTS...
* Wed. Aug. 22 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ FOMC Meeting Minutes
* Mon. Sept. 3 ~ U.S. and Canadian markets closed for Labour Day Holiday
* Fri. Sept. 7 @ 8:30 am ET ~ Employment Data
* Wed. Sept. 12 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ Beige Book Report
* Thurs. Sept. 13 @ 8:30 am ET ~ MoM & YoY CPI & Core CPI Data
* Wed. Sept. 26 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ FOMC Announcement + FOMC Forecasts and @ 2:30 pm ET ~ Fed Chair Press Conference
* Mon. Oct. 8 ~ Canadian markets closed for Thanksgiving Day Holiday
* Tues. Nov. 6 ~ U.S. Midterm Elections
* Thurs. Nov. 8 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ FOMC Announcement
* Thurs. Nov. 22 ~ U.S. markets closed for Thanksgiving Day Holiday & NYSE closes early @ 1:00 pm on Fri. Nov. 23
* Wed. Dec. 19 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ FOMC Announcement + FOMC Forecasts and @ 2:30 pm ET ~ Fed Chair Press Conference
* Tues. & Wed. Dec. 25 & 26 ~ Canadian markets closed for Christmas & Boxing Day Holidays
* Tues. Dec. 25 ~ U.S. markets closed for Christmas Day Holiday & close early @ 1:00 pm on Mon. Dec. 24
*** Click here for link to Economic Calendars for all upcoming events
IMPORTANT BLOG POST UPDATES...
* Trade Wars have escalated and now include diplomatic wars PLUS President Trump is cannibalizing prior U.S. market gains with his tariff tantrums against its world trading partners, while destabilizing a delicate world market balance