My post of July 14 discussed the trade war between China and the US and the effects it was having on China, in particular. Since that date, I added several important updates on that post, which are definitely worth reading...the latest one was earlier today (Monday).
The following World Stock Markets heat map shows the major losses incurred by world markets at their respective closes today...not a pretty picture.
Volatility has ramped up significantly since July 26 and price closed on the following SPX:VIX monthly ratio chart well below the 150 Bull/Bear Line-in-the-Sand level at 115.69.
Price action on this ratio peaked in January 2018 and it has made a series of lower highs, which are clearly evident on the next three charts (depicting monthly, quarterly and yearly timeframes, respectively)...indicating that the successive rallies in the SPX were getting weaker.
A drop and hold below 100 on this ratio could produce an acceleration of the selloff, sending the SPX down to, at least 2600, or even 2400, as I described in one of my updates in the above-mentioned post.
A drop to 2600 would land price on the median of this long-term uptrending regression channel (after nearly tagging a target price of 3047 identified in my post of June 29), as shown on the following SPX monthly chart.
And, as I warned in my aforementioned post of June 29, the alligator formations on the YM, ES, NQ and RTY E-mini Futures Indices have now crossed, hinting of further weakness ahead.
Of note, is price relative to the 200-day MA (yellow). If we see an acceleration of selling to take the ES and NQ below it, I'd say that the SPX has a good chance of hitting 2600, or lower...watch for price to drop and hold below 100 on the SPX:VIX ratio for confirmation. Inasmuch as the YM and RTY are already below their 200 MA, we'll see if they can catch a sustainable bounce anytime soon to lead the other two back into recovery mode. Otherwise, look for the YM and RTY to lead the others in a continued selloff.
Welcome and thank you for visiting!
The charts, graphs and comments in my Trading Blog represent my technical analysis and observations of a variety of world markets...
* Major World Market Indices * Futures Markets * U.S. Sectors and ETFs * Commodities * U.S. Bonds * Forex
* The content in my articles is time-sensitive. Each one shows the date and time (New York ET) that I publish them. By the time you read them, market conditions may be quite different than that which is described in my posts, and upon which my analyses are based at that time.
* My posts are also re-published by several other websites and I have no control as to when their editors do so, or for the accuracy in their editing and reproduction of my content.
* In answer to this often-asked question, please be advised that I do not post articles from other writers on my site.
* From time to time, I will add updated market information and charts to some of my articles, so it's worth checking back here occasionally for the latest analyses.
DISCLAIMER: All the information contained within my posts are my opinions only and none of it may be construed as financial or trading advice...please read my full Disclaimer at this link.
* If the dots don't connect, gather more dots until they do...or, just follow the $$$...
UPCOMING (MAJOR) U.S. ECONOMIC EVENTS...
* Wed. May 25 @ 2:00 pm ET - FOMC Meeting Minutes
* Wed. June 1 @ 2:00 pm ET - Beige Book Report
* Fri. June 3 @ 8:30 am ET - Employment Data
* Wed. June 15 @ 2:00 pm ET - FOMC Rate Announcement + Forecasts and @ 2:30 pm ET - Fed Chair Press Conference
* Wed. July 27 @ 2:00 pm ET - FOMC Rate Announcement + Forecasts and @ 2:30 pm ET - Fed Chair Press Conference
* Wed. Sept. 21 @ 2:00 pm ET - FOMC Rate Announcement + Forecasts and @ 2:30 pm ET - Fed Chair Press Conference
* Wed. Nov. 2 @ 2:00 pm ET - FOMC Rate Announcement + Forecasts and @ 2:30 pm ET - Fed Chair Press Conference
* Wed. Dec. 14 @ 2:00 pm ET - FOMC Rate Announcement + Forecasts and @ 2:30 pm ET - Fed Chair Press Conference
*** CLICK HERE for link to Economic Calendars for all upcoming events.