I last wrote about the SPX:VIX ratio on September 30.
Price action on the Monthly ratio chart below shows an inability, so far, for volatility to be held at bay, while the SPX continues to make new highs, almost daily.
It has failed to hold, with conviction, above the 250 level and advance above its next resistance level, which is a 161.8% external Fibonacci level at 280.
Price action, typically, doesn't like to leave unfilled gaps on the 60-Day 60-minute ratio chart. It gapped up on September 11 and remains unfilled. I'd expect that it will be filled in the near term, inasmuch as momentum has been fading on this timeframe and it has dropped below zero, once again. Watch for momentum to remain below zero on any gap fill.
Should price drop and hold below 200, we could see a significant drop occur in the SPX. Keep an eye on momentum on this timeframe for any confirmation of such a move.
One possible scenario that may occur (before any such gap fill) is for the SPX to make a last gasp to reach 2600 (a +2 deviation level of a very long-term regression channel), as shown on the Monthly chart below.
Keep an eye on momentum on the above chart to see if it pops back, and holds, above zero to confirm that such a rally may be imminent.
Welcome and thank you for visiting!
The charts, graphs and comments in my Trading Blog represent my technical analysis and observations of a variety of world markets...
* Major World Market Indices * Futures Markets * U.S. Sectors and ETFs * Commodities * U.S. Bonds * Forex
DISCLAIMER: All the information contained within my posts are my opinions only and none of it may be construed as financial or trading advice...
please read my full Disclaimer at this link.
UPCOMING (MAJOR) U.S. ECONOMIC EVENTS...
* Wed. March 21 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ FOMC Announcement + FOMC Forecasts + @ 2:30 pm ET ~ Fed Chair Press Conference
* Fri. March 30 ~ U.S. markets closed for Good Friday Holiday
* Fri. April 6 @ 8:30 am ET ~ Employment Data
* Wed. April 11 @ 8:30 am ET ~ MoM & YoY CPI & Core CPI Data
* Wed. April 11 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ FOMC Meeting Minutes
* Wed. April 18 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ Beige Book Report
* Wed. May 2 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ FOMC Announcement
*** Click here for link to Economic Calendars for all upcoming events