In my post of January 8, 2012, there was much talk of a potential recession coming to Canada.
Since then, you can see from the 5-Year comparison chart below of Canada's TSX and EEM (Emerging Markets ETF), that they have traded, essentially, lock-step. Both are in bear markets since their highs in September 2014 -- the TSX is -20.8% and EEM is -33.79%.
The next 3-Year comparison chart shows the big reason why...namely, the gyrating price (both to the upside and downside) of WTIC Crude Oil, which has had a major impact on Canada's TSX. Oil is -71.45% since June 2014.
It would appear that, as goes the price of Oil, the TSX will continue to behave like an emerging market (unless Canada's Federal government provides some kind of meaningful fiscal stimulus for alternative projects and, also, fast-tracks plans to improve its distribution methods to, more efficiently, get its crude oil via pipelines from Alberta to the west and east for sale to world markets).
In the meantime, these are three markets to watch over the coming weeks and months for clues of either further weakness or evidence of bottoming and strengthening of the TSX, in particular, and, possibly, other world markets, as I mentioned in my post of January 5, 2015.
Welcome and thank you for visiting!
The charts, graphs and comments in my Trading Blog represent my technical analysis and observations of a variety of world markets...
* Major World Market Indices * Futures Markets * U.S. Sectors and ETFs * Commodities * U.S. Bonds * Forex
* The content in my articles is time-sensitive. Each one shows the date and time (New York ET) that I publish them. By the time you read them, market conditions may be quite different than that which is described in my posts, and upon which my analyses are based at that time.
* My posts are also re-published by several other websites and I have no control as to when their editors do so, or for the accuracy in their editing and reproduction of my content.
* From time to time, I will add updated market information and charts to some of my articles, so it's worth checking back here occasionally for the latest analyses.
DISCLAIMER: All the information contained within my posts are my opinions only and none of it may be construed as financial or trading advice...
UPCOMING (MAJOR) U.S. ECONOMIC EVENTS...
* Wed. Jan. 23 @ 3:30 am ET ~ German Manufacturing PMI (watch for a drop below 50)
* Wed. Jan. 30 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ FOMC Announcement
* Fri. Feb. 1 @ 8:30 am ET ~ Employment Data
* Wed. Feb. 13 @ 8:30 am ET ~ MoM & YoY CPI & Core CPI Data
* Wed. Feb. 20 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ FOMC Meeting Minutes
* Wed. Mar. 6 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ Beige Book Report
* Wed. Mar. 20 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ FOMC Announcement + FOMC Forecasts and @ 2:30 pm ET ~ Fed Chair Press Conference
*** Click here for link to Economic Calendars for all upcoming events
NOTABLE POSTS WITH IMPORTANT UPDATES...