It looks like President Trump has chosen to dust off his rose-coloured glasses and put them back on regarding his stance on North Korea and, in particular, its leader, Kim Jong Un.
Take a look at what the President tweeted about his impression of Kim's appearance and health when they met at the Korean DMZ on June 30 and contrast that with what Fox News Anchor, Tucker Carlson, reported in the following video.
Assuming Tucker Carlson's version is accurate wherein he describes Chairman Kim's ill-health (unlike the President, he has nothing to gain by lying about it), I would imagine that Kim depends greatly on his military leaders for support in order to remain in power...for health reasons, safety and security reasons, economic reasons, political reasons, and in order to maximize his priorities of securing North Korea's power as a nuclear powerhouse.
Without that important and immense military support system in place, and as long as they remain loyal to Kim, I believe his future would be very fragile and precarious because of his poor health. For that reason, I cannot foresee an agreement ever being reached between Kim Jong Un and President Trump to completely and verifiably denuclearize, because Trump is not just dealing with Kim, he is also dealing with all of Kim's military leaders/advisers...who are, essentially, propping him up, for the time-being. To create prosperity for the citizens of North Korea would undermine their absolute power over them -- and over Kim -- and would take away their nuclear power and leverage over the rest of the world.
If Kim were of robust health, I'd have a different opinion in this regard...he'd have absolute autonomy to make such a deal with the U.S. However, with so many hard-line military players involved (who are necessary for Kim's survival), the deck is stacked against such a deal ever being struck, with Kim Jong Un at the helm.
So, President Trump is only biding his time with Chairman Kim, using flattery as an interim appeasement tool -- sprinkled with another summit or two and more photo ops, that Kim can use to prop up his image with the North Koreans and the rest of the world -- until such time as he is no longer the U.S. President...and, no doubt, those rose glasses will stay firmly on until then.
In the meantime, I hope the President will not back-track on his maximum pressure campaign against North Korea and will, instead, begin to enforce the rules of that campaign on those countries that are, reportedly, breaking the sanctions that they originally supported at the U.N. (e.g., Russia and China, etc.).
Welcome and thank you for visiting!
The charts, graphs and comments in my Trading Blog represent my technical analysis and observations of a variety of world markets...
* Major World Market Indices * Futures Markets * U.S. Sectors and ETFs * Commodities * U.S. Bonds * Forex
* The content in my articles is time-sensitive. Each one shows the date and time (New York ET) that I publish them. By the time you read them, market conditions may be quite different than that which is described in my posts, and upon which my analyses are based at that time.
* My posts are also re-published by several other websites and I have no control as to when their editors do so, or for the accuracy in their editing and reproduction of my content.
* In answer to this often-asked question, please be advised that I do not post articles from other writers on my site.
* From time to time, I will add updated market information and charts to some of my articles, so it's worth checking back here occasionally for the latest analyses.
DISCLAIMER: All the information contained within my posts are my opinions only and none of it may be construed as financial or trading advice...
UPCOMING (MAJOR) U.S. ECONOMIC VENTS...
* Wed. July 31 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ FOMC Announcement + FOMC Forecasts and @ 2:30 pm ET ~ Fed Chair Press Conference
* Fri. Aug. 2 @ 8:30 am ET ~ Employment Data
* Tues. Aug. 13 @ 8:30 am ET ~ MoM & YoY CPI & Core CPI Data
* Thurs. Aug. 15 @ 8:30 am ET ~ Core Retail Sales & Retail Sales
* Wed. Aug. 21 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ FOMC Meeting Minutes
* Wed. Sept. 4 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ Beige Book Report
*** Click here for link to Economic Calendars for all upcoming events
NOTABLE POSTS WITH IMPORTANT UPDATES...