The SPX gained 801.35 points from its November 8, 2016 close of 2139.56 (on the eve of the U.S. elections) to its all-time high of 2940.91 on September 21, 2018.
Since September 21, the SPX closed Monday (Christmas Eve) 589.81 points lower at 2351.10...a loss of 73.6% of those Nov/16 to Sept/18 points gained...and is now up by only 9.89% since November 8, 2016, as shown on the following percentage-gained graph.
The SPX is teetering on the edge of a bear market, as it is now -19.78% from its September high this year.
If we get a couple more days like Monday's, the SPX could easily reach its first support level of 2250 before the end of the year, as shown on the following monthly chart, and as I described in my post of December 22. Major support sits lower at 2000.
U.S. equity market gains made since Nov/16 are already being cannibalized by Washington gridlock and erratic Trump administration decisions and policies, as I warned in last month's post of November 9. Whether that is about to abate anytime soon is anyone's guess!
Welcome and thank you for visiting!
The charts, graphs and comments in my Trading Blog represent my technical analysis and observations of a variety of world markets...
* Major World Market Indices * Futures Markets * U.S. Sectors and ETFs * Commodities * U.S. Bonds * Forex
* The content in my articles is time-sensitive. Each one shows the date and time (New York ET) that I publish them. By the time you read them, market conditions may be quite different than that which is described in my posts, and upon which my analyses are based at that time.
* My posts are also re-published by several other websites and I have no control as to when their editors do so, or for the accuracy in their editing and reproduction of my content.
* In answer to this often-asked question, please be advised that I do not post articles from other writers on my site.
* From time to time, I will add updated market information and charts to some of my articles, so it's worth checking back here occasionally for the latest analyses.
DISCLAIMER: All the information contained within my posts are my opinions only and none of it may be construed as financial or trading advice...
UPCOMING (MAJOR) U.S. ECONOMIC EVENTS...
* Wed. Jan. 13 @ 8:30 am ET ~ MoM & YoY CPI & Core CPI Data
* Wed. Jan. 13 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ Beige Book Report
* Fri. Jan. 15 @ 8:30 am ET ~ Retail Sales Report & Core Retail Sales Report
* Wed. Jan. 27 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ FOMC Announcement + FOMC Forecasts and @ 2:30 pm ET ~ Fed Chair Press Conference
* Fri. Feb. 5 @ 8:30 am ET ~ Employment Data
* Wed. Feb. 17 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ FOMC Meeting Minutes
*** Click here for link to Economic Calendars for all upcoming events