Further to my post of August 6, the SPX continued to rally to top out in September about 100 points shy of an upside target of 3033, but exceeded its first target of 2900, as shown on the following updated monthly chart. The high was 2940.91 and I doubt we'll see that matched before the end of December.
Since then, and as of Friday's close, the SPX has plummeted and it came within eight points of reaching its first major support level of 2400, as I described in my post of December 17.
The input value for each of the three technical indicators is shown as 'one' to illustrate the extreme downside momentum, rate-of-change, and average true range experienced, so far, this month. These either exceed or almost match the levels experienced during the 2008/09 financial crisis.
Whether we see a short-term bounce next week to close out the year is anyone's guess.
However, the RSI, MACD and PMO divergences (shown on the daily chart of the SPX:VIX ratio) compared to the ratio price is hinting that we may either see a bounce in the SPX or some stabilization soon.
If we see the SPX continue to plunge and these divergences wiped out, we may just see the SPX reach its next major support level of 2250, or lower to 2000, as described in my last post. A drop and hold of the ratio below 80 could hold the key to such a scenario being achieved...in short order.
Welcome and thank you for visiting!
The charts, graphs and comments in my Trading Blog represent my technical analysis and observations of a variety of world markets...
* Major World Market Indices * Futures Markets * U.S. Sectors and ETFs * Commodities * U.S. Bonds * Forex
* The content in my articles is time-sensitive. Each one shows the date and time (New York ET) that I publish them. By the time you read them, market conditions may be quite different than that which is described in my posts, and upon which my analyses are based at that time.
* My posts are also re-published by several other websites and I have no control as to when their editors do so, or for the accuracy in their editing and reproduction of my content.
* In answer to this often-asked question, please be advised that I do not post articles from other writers on my site.
* From time to time, I will add updated market information and charts to some of my articles, so it's worth checking back here occasionally for the latest analyses.
DISCLAIMER: All the information contained within my posts are my opinions only and none of it may be construed as financial or trading advice...
UPCOMING (MAJOR) U.S. ECONOMIC VENTS...
* Wed. May 22 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ FOMC Meeting Minutes
* Thurs. May 23 @ 3:30 am ET ~ German Flash Manufacturing PMI (watch for a hold below 50)...N.B. Jan. 24 PMI came in at 49.9, Feb. 21 PMI came in at 47.6, Mar. 22 came in at 44.7 & Apr. 18 came in at 44.5 (contraction mode deepens!)
* Wed. May 29 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ Beige Book Report
* Fri. June 7 @ 8:30 am ET ~ Employment Data
* Wed. June 12 @ 8:30 am ET ~ MoM & YoY CPI & Core CPI Data
* Fri. June 14 @ 8:30 am ET ~ Core Retail Sales & Retail Sales
* Wed. June 19 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ FOMC Announcement + FOMC Forecasts and @ 2:30 pm ET ~ Fed Chair Press Conference
*** Click here for link to Economic Calendars for all upcoming events
NOTABLE POSTS WITH IMPORTANT UPDATES...