The following Daily chart of the Homebuilders Sector (XHB) shows, that it reached a new 3-year high today (Wednesday), but not a new closing high. However, the RSI, MACD and Stochastics indicators are not yet confirming a move higher. Note the high volume activity since the beginning of this year...signalling major rotation in and out of this sector, perhaps, in readiness for a big move one way or the other.
When compared with the Financials Sector (XLF), the following Daily ratio chart of XHB:XLF shows that the XHB weakened from the beginning of 2013 until mid-October 2014, while XLF outperformed. At the moment, price has bumped up against major resistance at 1.50 and the RSI, MACD and Stochastics indicators are not confirming another move up yet, even though we now have a bullish Golden Cross of the moving averages. We may see a retest, first, of these averages around the 1.40/38 level before the next major move is established.
When compared with the S&P 500 Index ($SPX), the following Daily ratio chart of XHB:$SPX shows that the XHB weakened from mid-2013 until mid-October 2014, while the $SPX outperformed. At the moment, price has bumped up against major resistance at 0.0175 and the RSI, MACD and Stochastics indicators are not confirming another move up yet, even though we now have a bullish Golden Cross of the moving averages. We may see a retest, first, of these averages around the 0.0165/60 level before the next major move is established.
Since the "continued recovery" in the U.S. is seen to be dependent, in part, on strong homebuilding activity, it may be worth measuring its "strength" against the above sector and index over the near and longer terms...I wouldn't be surprised to see some weakness of the XHB against these in the short term.
Welcome and thank you for visiting!
The charts, graphs and comments in my Trading Blog represent my technical analysis and observations of a variety of world markets...
* Major World Market Indices * Futures Markets * U.S. Sectors and ETFs * Commodities * U.S. Bonds * Forex
* The content in my articles is time-sensitive. Each one shows the date and time (New York ET) that I publish them. By the time you read them, market conditions may be quite different than that which is described in my posts, and upon which my analyses are based at that time.
* My posts are also re-published by several other websites and I have no control as to when their editors do so, or for the accuracy in their editing and reproduction of my content.
* From time to time, I will add updated market information and charts to some of my articles, so it's worth checking back here occasionally for the latest analyses.
DISCLAIMER: All the information contained within my posts are my opinions only and none of it may be construed as financial or trading advice...
UPCOMING (MAJOR) U.S. ECONOMIC EVENTS...
* Wed. Jan. 23 @ 3:30 am ET ~ German Manufacturing PMI (watch for a drop below 50)
* Wed. Jan. 30 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ FOMC Announcement
* Fri. Feb. 1 @ 8:30 am ET ~ Employment Data
* Wed. Feb. 13 @ 8:30 am ET ~ MoM & YoY CPI & Core CPI Data
* Wed. Feb. 20 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ FOMC Meeting Minutes
* Wed. Mar. 6 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ Beige Book Report
* Wed. Mar. 20 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ FOMC Announcement + FOMC Forecasts and @ 2:30 pm ET ~ Fed Chair Press Conference
*** Click here for link to Economic Calendars for all upcoming events
NOTABLE POSTS WITH IMPORTANT UPDATES...