A continued rally in the equity markets is really dependent on continued leadership in Technology, as well as a recovery in Small-Caps.
The following Weekly comparison chart of the Dow 30, S&P 500, Nasdaq 100 and Russell 2000 Indices shows that, from the 2009 lows, Technology has led the overall rally, for the most part, and, particularly, since early this year when the spread has widened considerably between the NDX and the others.
The following 60-day 60-minute comparison chart of these 4 Indices shows the NDX approaching this year's high, while the RUT has the furthest to go to reach that point. I'd watch for any build in volumes in the NDX and the RUT on, either a rally, or any decline from this point...to confirm a commitment in sentiment, one way or the other.
The declining momentum indicator on the following 60-day 60-minute ratio chart of SPX:VIX is not confirming this latest rally in the SPX from August 11th.
Any low-volume push higher in the NDX and RUT, combined with weakness in the SPX may indicate a loss of appetite for equities in the near-term. Price on this ratio chart has pushed above the near-term resistance level of 150.00 (mentioned in my post of August 11th). Failure to hold this level will likely see Monday's gap-up filled. A break and hold below the 110.00 level may see a much larger-scale correction in equities begin...hence, the importance of volume commitment, either way, in the NDX and RUT.
Welcome and thank you for visiting!
The charts, graphs and comments in my Trading Blog represent my technical analysis and observations of a variety of world markets...
* Major World Market Indices * Futures Markets * U.S. Sectors and ETFs * Commodities * U.S. Bonds * Forex
DISCLAIMER: All the information contained within my posts are my opinions only and none of it may be construed as financial or trading advice...
please read my full Disclaimer at this link.
UPCOMING (MAJOR) ECONOMIC EVENTS...
* Wed. Oct. 18 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ Beige Book Report
* Tues. Oct. 31 ~ 2-day FOMC Meeting Begins
* Wed. Nov. 1 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ FOMC Announcement
* Fri. Nov. 3 @ 8:30 am ET ~ Employment Data
* Wed. Nov. 22 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ FOMC Meeting Minutes
* Tues. Dec. 12 ~ 2-day FOMC Meeting Begins
* Wed. Dec. 13 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ FOMC Announcement + FOMC Forecasts + @ 2:30 pm ET ~ Fed Chair Press Conference