The next hurdle for the SPX:VIX ratio is 80.00, as shown on the following daily ratio chart.
As I mentioned in my post of March 12, 2750 was an important level for the SPX. It was where its counterpart, the S&P E-mini Futures Index broke below the bottom of a long-term uptrending Andrew's Pitchfork channel (taken from the 2009 low to 2020's high) and was trading at 2441.00 that day. Such a technical break usually signals that a new bearish trend would form. On March 23, the SPX hit a new low of 2191.86 and reversed the next day.
The SPX closed back above 2750 on April 9 and remains above as of Tuesday's close at 2846.06.
For short-term clues on the where the SPX may be headed, the important support and resistance levels are identified on the SPX:VIX ratio. As I mentioned above, if this ratio can reclaim the 80.00 level, its next target would be 100.00...and we'd see the SPX continue to rally under this scenario.
Conversely, should the SPX:VIX ratio break and hold below 60.00 once again, then we'll see the SPX plunge below 2750 and possibly make a new low...below that made on March 23.
Welcome and thank you for visiting!
The charts, graphs and comments in my Trading Blog represent my technical analysis and observations of a variety of world markets...
* Major World Market Indices * Futures Markets * U.S. Sectors and ETFs * Commodities * U.S. Bonds * Forex
* The content in my articles is time-sensitive. Each one shows the date and time (New York ET) that I publish them. By the time you read them, market conditions may be quite different than that which is described in my posts, and upon which my analyses are based at that time.
* My posts are also re-published by several other websites and I have no control as to when their editors do so, or for the accuracy in their editing and reproduction of my content.
* In answer to this often-asked question, please be advised that I do not post articles from other writers on my site.
* From time to time, I will add updated market information and charts to some of my articles, so it's worth checking back here occasionally for the latest analyses.
DISCLAIMER: All the information contained within my posts are my opinions only and none of it may be construed as financial or trading advice...please read my full Disclaimer at this link.
* If the dots don't connect, gather more dots until they do...or, just follow the $$$...
UPCOMING (MAJOR) U.S. ECONOMIC EVENTS...
* Wed. May 25 @ 2:00 pm ET - FOMC Meeting Minutes
* Wed. June 1 @ 2:00 pm ET - Beige Book Report
* Fri. June 3 @ 8:30 am ET - Employment Data
* Wed. June 15 @ 2:00 pm ET - FOMC Rate Announcement + Forecasts and @ 2:30 pm ET - Fed Chair Press Conference
* Wed. July 27 @ 2:00 pm ET - FOMC Rate Announcement + Forecasts and @ 2:30 pm ET - Fed Chair Press Conference
* Wed. Sept. 21 @ 2:00 pm ET - FOMC Rate Announcement + Forecasts and @ 2:30 pm ET - Fed Chair Press Conference
* Wed. Nov. 2 @ 2:00 pm ET - FOMC Rate Announcement + Forecasts and @ 2:30 pm ET - Fed Chair Press Conference
* Wed. Dec. 14 @ 2:00 pm ET - FOMC Rate Announcement + Forecasts and @ 2:30 pm ET - Fed Chair Press Conference
*** CLICK HERE for link to Economic Calendars for all upcoming events.