My post of October 11 mentioned that China's Shanghai Index broke below a major monthly swing low level of 2638.30 and that it could be headed for its next major support level at 2260, or lower.
Since then, price has fluctuated in both directions and has been attempting to stabilize, but remains just below that former swing low...a potential major inflection point.
Overlayed on all of the following three charts of the USD/CNY forex pair is the Shanghai Index (shown in pink). After price peaked in January of this year, it began an 1,140 point decline, in divergence with a rally in the USD/CNY.
The following monthly chart of the USD/CNY forex pair shows that its price is also now at a potential inflection point...the last swing high set in January 2017, following the November 2016 U.S. Presidential election.
Both the momentum (MOM) and rate-of-change (ROC) indicators (of USD/CNY) have surpassed the January 2017 highs and are at historical highs on this timeframe...hinting at further strength on this timeframe.
On a weekly timeframe, both the MOM and ROC (of USD/CNY) have declined and remain just above the zero level in divergence with this latest price bounce, which began at the end of August...hinting at a potential pullback on this timeframe.
On a daily timeframe, both the MOM and ROC (of USD/CNY) have declined and are just below the zero level in divergence with this latest price bounce, which began at the end of August...hinting at a potential pullback on this timeframe.
In conclusion, both the Shanghai Index and the USD/CNY forex pair are at or near potential inflection points, so it's worth keeping an eye on both to see whether they, either continue to diverge, or whether they both reverse and begin to converge in the near term.
In this regard, monitor the action of the MOM and ROC indicators around their respective zero levels on both the daily and weekly timeframes for clues on direction and strength in the short and medium terms.
As an aside, it would also be interesting to hear whether any chatter arises about whether President Trump declares that China is manipulating its currency any time soon -- which seemed to have been discussed, then dismissed, following the 2016 election -- and whether, and to what extent, such talk affects both the USD/CNY and Shanghai Index.
Welcome and thank you for visiting!
The charts, graphs and comments in my Trading Blog represent my technical analysis and observations of a variety of world markets...
* Major World Market Indices * Futures Markets * U.S. Sectors and ETFs * Commodities * U.S. Bonds * Forex
* The content in my articles is time-sensitive. Each one shows the date and time (New York ET) that I publish them. By the time you read them, market conditions may be quite different than that which is described in my posts, and upon which my analyses are based at that time.
* My posts are also re-published by several other websites and I have no control as to when their editors do so, or for the accuracy in their editing and reproduction of my content.
* In answer to this often-asked question, please be advised that I do not post articles from other writers on my site.
* From time to time, I will add updated market information and charts to some of my articles, so it's worth checking back here occasionally for the latest analyses.
DISCLAIMER: All the information contained within my posts are my opinions only and none of it may be construed as financial or trading advice...
UPCOMING (MAJOR) U.S. ECONOMIC VENTS...
* Fri. Apr. 19 ~ U.S. Markets Closed for Good Friday holiday
* Wed. Apr. 24 @ 3:30 am ET ~ German Flash Manufacturing PMI (watch for a hold below 50)...N.B. Jan. 24 PMI came in at 49.9, Feb. 21 PMI came in at 47.6 & Mar. 22 came in at 44.7 (contraction mode deepens!)
* Wed. May 1 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ FOMC Announcement + FOMC Forecasts and @ 2:30 pm ET ~ Fed Chair Press Conference
* Fri. May 3 @ 8:30 am ET ~ Employment Data
* Fri. May 10 @ 8:30 am ET ~ MoM & YoY CPI & Core CPI Data
* Wed. May 15 @ 8:30 am ET ~ Core Retail Sales & Retail Sales
* Wed. May 22 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ FOMC Meeting Minutes
* Wed. May 29 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ Beige Book Report
*** Click here for link to Economic Calendars for all upcoming events
NOTABLE POSTS WITH IMPORTANT UPDATES...