Background information on the SPX:VIX ratio can be found here. Equity volatility will elevate as long as this ratio remains below the 150 level (as of 1:45 pm ET today it has fallen below, once again, as shown on the following Monthly chart).
BUT, watch for a potential bear trap, inasmuch as price action and all three technical indicators have morphed into triangular patterns and are nearing their respective apex in readiness for a major breakout, one way or the other, as shown on the Daily chart below.
With the U.S. Presidential election only two weeks away, I doubt whether the aggressively-bullish scenario, that I painted as a possibility in my post of July 1st, is realistic. However, we may see the SPX surge toward that 2280 level, so I'd keep an eye on this ratio to see if price can break and hold back above 150, whether the RSI climbs back and holds above 50, and whether the MACD and PMO re-cross and hold to the upside, as confirmation of such bullish aggression.
Welcome and thank you for visiting!
The charts, graphs and comments in my Trading Blog represent my technical analysis and observations of a variety of world markets...
* Major World Market Indices * Futures Markets * U.S. Sectors and ETFs * Commodities * U.S. Bonds * Forex
* The content in my articles is time-sensitive. Each one shows the date and time (New York ET) that I publish them. By the time you read them, market conditions may be quite different than that which is described in my posts, and upon which my analyses are based at that time.
* My posts are also re-published by several other websites and I have no control as to when their editors do so, or for the accuracy in their editing and reproduction of my content.
* In answer to this often-asked question, please be advised that I do not post articles from other writers on my site.
* From time to time, I will add updated market information and charts to some of my articles, so it's worth checking back here occasionally for the latest analyses.
DISCLAIMER: All the information contained within my posts are my opinions only and none of it may be construed as financial or trading advice...
UPCOMING (MAJOR) U.S. ECONOMIC EVENTS...
* Wed. Jan. 29 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ FOMC Announcement + FOMC Forecasts and @ 2:30 pm ET ~ Fed Chair Press Conference
* Fri. Feb. 7 @ 8:30 am ET ~ Employment Data
* Thurs. Feb. 13 @ 8:30 am ET ~ MoM & YoY CPI & Core CPI Data
* Fri. Feb. 14 @ 8:30 am ET ~ Core Retail Sales & Retail Sales
* Wed. Feb. 19 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ FOMC Meeting Minutes
* Wed. Mar. 4 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ Beige Book Report
*** Click here for link to Economic Calendars for all upcoming events