Further to my posts of January 29 and February 17 (& March 3 update), price action on the SPX:VIX ratio has rallied and is now in between major support of 150 and major resistance at 160, as shown on the following monthly chart. The momentum indicator has also risen above the zero level and is hinting of higher prices to come at some point on this longer term timeframe.
Equity bulls will need to keep the price on this ratio above the 150 level, as well as break and hold above 160, and keep momentum above zero, in order to convince traders/investors to continue their buying spree to send the SPX to new all-time highs (currently at 2134.72, as shown on the following monthly chart of the SPX).
Otherwise, a drop and hold below these levels will see volatility return to the equity markets -- likely in a substantial manner -- to send them to, potentially, new lows for the year. It should be noted that the momentum indicator on this chart is not yet above zero and is still in a downtrend, so it is not yet confirming that higher prices are in store for the SPX...so, keep a close eye on the SPX:VIX ratio for signals.
Welcome and thank you for visiting!
The charts, graphs and comments in my Trading Blog represent my technical analysis and observations of a variety of world markets...
* Major World Market Indices * Futures Markets * U.S. Sectors and ETFs * Commodities * U.S. Bonds * Forex
* The content in my articles is time-sensitive. Each one shows the date and time (New York ET) that I publish them. By the time you read them, market conditions may be quite different than that which is described in my posts, and upon which my analyses are based at that time.
* My posts are also re-published by several other websites and I have no control as to when their editors do so, or for the accuracy in their editing and reproduction of my content.
* In answer to this often-asked question, please be advised that I do not post articles from other writers on my site.
* From time to time, I will add updated market information and charts to some of my articles, so it's worth checking back here occasionally for the latest analyses.
DISCLAIMER: All the information contained within my posts are my opinions only and none of it may be construed as financial or trading advice...please read my full Disclaimer at this link.
UPCOMING (MAJOR) U.S. ECONOMIC EVENTS...
* Fri. May 7 @ 8:30 am ET ~ Employment Data
* Wed. May 12 @ 8:30 am ET ~ MoM & YoY CPI & Core CPI Data
* Fri. May 14 @ 8:30 am ET ~ Retail Sales Report & Core Retail Sales Report
* Wed. May 19 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ FOMC Meeting Minutes
* Wed. June 2 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ Beige Book Report
* Wed. June 16 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ FOMC Announcement + FOMC Forecasts and @ 2:30 pm ET ~ Fed Chair Press Conference
*** Click here for link to Economic Calendars for all upcoming events.