Lumber and the Homebuilders ETF (XHB) traded, essentially, in the same directions from mid-2010 until October 2014 -- when Lumber suddenly took a nosedive down to major support at 240, while XHB broke out and rallied -- as shown on the following 5-Year Daily comparison chart.
At the moment, it looks as though that support level will be retested, once more. A drop and hold below 240 could very well be the catalyst that breaks XHB's slightly-sloping (tight) uptrend. And, a drop and hold below 220 could see a very quick, sizable plunge in XHB...possibly slicing through 34.00 down to retest major support around 28.00, or lower.
Lumber and Homebuilders ETF...two charts to monitor to see if the current spread between them continues to widen or shift.
* UPDATE -- Click this link to view an interesting read, dated September 17th, from Tom McClellan regarding New Home Sales vs Lumber...another correlation to monitor in the coming weeks and months.
Welcome and thank you for visiting!
The charts, graphs and comments in my Trading Blog represent my technical analysis and observations of a variety of world markets...
* Major World Market Indices * Futures Markets * U.S. Sectors and ETFs * Commodities * U.S. Bonds * Forex
DISCLAIMER: All the information contained within my posts are my opinions only and none of it may be construed as financial or trading advice...
please read my full Disclaimer at this link.
UPCOMING (MAJOR) U.S. ECONOMIC EVENTS...
* Mon. Feb. 19 ~ U.S. markets closed for Presidents Day Holiday
* Wed. Feb. 21 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ FOMC Meeting Minutes
* Wed. Mar. 7 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ Beige Book Report
* Fri. Mar. 9 @ 8:30 am ET ~ Employment Data
* Tues. Mar. 13 @ 8:30 am ET ~ MoM & YoY CPI & Core CPI Data
* Wed. March 21 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ FOMC Announcement + FOMC Forecasts + @ 2:30 pm ET ~ Fed Chair Press Conference
* Wed. May 2 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ FOMC Announcement
*** Click here for link to Economic Calendars for all upcoming events