170 is the next major resistance level to be overcome on the following Daily ratio chart of the SPX:VIX. This appears to be "make or break" time for SPX Bulls. 180 and 192 represent the next and final major hurdles (set in 2014) that will need to be overcome before Bulls can comfortably feel that volatility has been quashed while (if) the SPX resumes any kind of sustainable uptrend.
The following 60-Day 60-Minute chart of the SPX:VIX Ratio shows last Friday's large gap that will, ultimately, need to be filled at some point, since gaps on this timeframe tend to get filled.
As mentioned in my post of March 29th, 2100 is the "froth" level that the ES (S&P 500 E-mini Futures Index) will need to overcome. In the process, it will have to overthrow major resistance, which is formed by a double Fibonacci confluence level. At the time of writing today's post, price has yet to break and hold above Friday's high of 2113.50 and the all-time high of 2119.75 set on April 27th of this year.
Are volatile swings over with now? I wouldn't rule them out just yet until we see the above-mentioned levels comfortably broken and held...and backed up by larger volumes to support new money entering equity markets at these historically-high levels.
Welcome and thank you for visiting!
The charts, graphs and comments in my Trading Blog represent my technical analysis and observations of a variety of world markets...
* Major World Market Indices * Futures Markets * U.S. Sectors and ETFs * Commodities * U.S. Bonds * Forex
DISCLAIMER: All the information contained within my posts are my opinions only and none of it may be construed as financial or trading advice...
please read my full Disclaimer at this link.
UPCOMING (MAJOR) ECONOMIC EVENTS...
* Thurs. Aug. 24, Fri. 25 & Sat. 26 ~ Jackson Hole Economic Policy Symposium -- (Fri. @ 10:00 am ET ~ Janet Yellen speaks)
* Fri. Sept. 1 @ 8:30 am ET ~ Employment Data
* Mon. Sept. 4 ~ Labour Day holiday...U.S. markets closed...Canadian markets closed
* Wed. Sept. 6 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ Beige Book Report
* Tues. Sept. 19 ~ 2-day FOMC Meeting Begins
* Wed. Sept. 20 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ FOMC Announcement + FOMC Forecasts + @ 2:30 pm ET ~ Fed Chair Press Conference
* Wed. Oct. 11 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ FOMC Meeting Minutes
* Tues. Oct. 31 ~ 2-day FOMC Meeting Begins
* Wed. Nov. 1 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ FOMC Announcement
* Tues. Dec. 12 ~ 2-day FOMC Meeting Begins
* Wed. Dec. 13 @ 2:00 pm ET ~ FOMC Announcement + FOMC Forecasts + @ 2:30 pm ET ~ Fed Chair Press Conference